There are lots of different issues a homeowner in Voorhees can encounter. But out of all of them few are anywhere near as disconcerting as a cooling system that starts to stink! Dealing with a cooling unit that smells funky and not sure where to start? Follow along with Bovio Rubino Service while we detail the most common causes (and solutions) for this obnoxiously noxious cooling complication!
Two Types of Smells Coming from Air Conditioners
Before we go anywhere, we need to define what kind of unpleasant odor you’re dealing with. There are actually many different issues that can cause an odd HVAC odor, but we like to split these up into two major categories: electrical-related odors and musty or foul odors. Both are awful, but one of these presents a very serious and immediate danger. So, your problem could be quite serious.
Smells Produced by Electrical Failure
These types of smells are typically very easily identified. If you’ve smelled burnt wiring or melted plastic before, you’re not likely to forget it. These kinds of smells can be caused by a few different things, including:
- AC overheating
- Damaged wiring
- Overloading and power surges
- Electrical connection failure
The important thing to know here is that any kind of electrical issue is an emergency! Leaving things alone or acting slow can lead to serious problems including permanent HVAC system damage, and even worse, an electrical fire. If you notice these odors from your system shut it down immediately and call a professional for emergency AC repair service. It’s not worth risking it at all!
Gross or Musty Odors from Your Air Conditioner
While a bit less dangerous and much more common and mundane, funky smells are still super unpleasant. You want to find a solution, and you want one in a hurry! Luckily these smells are almost always caused by the same kinds of issues, and thus are easy to pinpoint and fix. These are the most common odors, and how to handle them:
- Dusty and musty odors. Nearly always this will relate to a backup of dust and common household air debris. The simplest solution is to check your air filter to see if it needs to be changed, but if that solves nothing then you’ll probably be relying on professional maintenance service.
- Rotten or foul smells. Rotting, slightly sweet odors will indicate mold growth in the HVAC system and ductwork. The problem is actually more common than you’d think since mold spore is actually present in common home and outdoor air It’s just that those spores have found a home in your system. The problem could be due to a backed-up or clogged condensate system, which is a simple repair, or it may have just been too long since your last duct cleaning.
- Unfortunately, duct systems aren’t so air-tight and sealed up as to prevent critter infestation. Mice, birds, bats, and other common animals can find their way into duct systems. If they get caught or injured, well then, you’ll know what the decaying odor is.
Superior Air Conditioning Repair and Maintenance in Voorhees & South Jersey
Dealing with odd or unusual odors coming from your Jersey cooling system? You don’t have to get stressed! Count on Bovio Rubino Service to provide the complete services and solutions you need. We’ve been bringing leading service to our Voorhees and Cherry Hill, NJ clients for decades, so contact us online now to get started!