Skip to Content
Real People 24/7 888-258-4904

Safety is everyone’s number one priority. Whether we’re driving, swimming, setting off fireworks on the 4th of July – we all want to stay safe. Our houses and buildings are no exception. We install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to stay safe. Fire is an ever-present threat that shows no mercy to its victims.

Fire is one of the big reasons why regular HVAC maintenance is so important. The residents of the Agape Senior Living Facility in Conway, South Carolina discovered this the hard way. According to the fire chief, an electrical fire in an air conditioning unit broke out in one of the resident’s rooms. The fire was confined to that one room, but heavy smoke filled the hallway and all of the residents were safely evacuated.

Though the fire was small and confined, it could’ve been a lot worse. And it probably could’ve been prevented.

HVAC systems are like your car; they need regular maintenance to stay in safe working condition. What are some ways you can prevent a fire caused by your HVAC system? Here are a few things you can do:

  1. Regular maintenance and inspections. Having a professional HVAC technician come out to inspect your system will prevent a lot of problems. The technician will look for things like frayed wires, loose electrical connections, dirt and debris and other abnormalities that could affect your HVAC unit. Further, the technician will also replace any old and worn parts, and warn you when you’ll need to replace an entire component.
  1. Replace old systems. Nothing last forever. When your HVAC system reaches the end of its lifespan, have it replaced. Aside from being much safer, newer units are also more energy efficient and will save you money on your utility bills. You’ll also save money by not needing a technician to come out every week to fix something that is broken.
  1. If your HVAC system doesn’t seem right, have it inspected. This means if your air conditioner or furnace starts making strange noises, or there are unusual odors coming from the ventilation ductwork, have a technician check your HVAC equipment as soon as possible.
  1. Install a carbon monoxide detector where your furnace and AC unit are. CO2 detectors are inexpensive and you can buy ones that plug right into an outlet. If the alarm goes off, leave your house immediately and call 911.

Thankfully the Agape Senior Living Facility didn’t suffer any major damage from the electrical fire in the resident’s room. It could have been a lot worse. It should also serve as a lesson that we cannot take for granted that our HVAC systems will run smoothly without any problems.

If your home’s HVAC system hasn’t been inspected in a while, it’s never too late. Call us today and we can have a professional come out and ensure you’re safe. And if you’re hearing strange noise or there are strange smells in the ventilation, call us immediately because you might have a big problem on your hands. Don’t wait until it’s too late.

The post Senior Living Facility Fire Reminds Us About Importance Of Regular HVAC Maintenance appeared first on Bovio Rubino Service - BRS.

Share To: