When the seasons change, it usually means you have some sort of work to do around the house. There are a lot of different things that can be done around the house to account for the change in temperature and behavior around your home. We wanted to give you a list of things that you can start accomplishing, inside and outside, that will make your home more comfortable and prepared for the coming season!
- Change your bedsheets – Something simple, but this will help you feel cool on hot summer nights.
- Put away winter clothes and get out summer clothes – This includes some of the heavier blankets you may have had on your living rooms couches etc.
- Make sure your fans are counter-clockwise – This pushes cool air down, instead of clockwise in the winter to keep warm air circulating.
- Replace air filters – Replacing your filters will reduce allergens and bacteria in the air inside your home.
- Clean your ducts and dryer vent – Dust and debris build up in these spots, and it’s helpful to have them taken care of once a year.
- Check your alarms – Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors should be checked every few months, and this is a good time to do it.
- Clean your gutters and drains – Leaves and sticks can clog these up, weigh them down, and cause blockages.
- Clear around your air conditioning unit – If you have any fallen leaves or branches around or on to of your AC unit.
- Unpack and uncover patio furniture
- Clean your windows – This is the time of year you are going to have your windows open and invite the sunlight in. Make sure your windows are beautiful and transparent
- Clean your grill and walkways
- Plant fresh flowers and vegetables
BONUS TIP #13
One of the other things we recommend each season is a checkup on your air conditioning or heating equipment. If your AC system hasn’t been looked at since last year, you are probably due for a service. A professional will come out, take a look at the system, and make the necessary tweaks and tune-ups to keep your system running efficiently, for longer! You wouldn’t drive your car for years without an oil change, would you? This is the same concept when it comes to service for your AC System. Doing this ensures that your system will work when it’s needed, and will make sure it gets the full lifespan out of it.